There are 5 things you should consider before hiring an employment background screening company
1) Test drive the software and do a demo with your team
2) Find out if the company is a member of NAPBS (National Association of Professional Background Screeners) and if their team has any certifications with NAPBS (FCRA Certified)
3) Determine the method of obtaining authorization forms and disclosures (paper, electronic) and ask for examples
4) Ask if the platform integrates with ATS (applicant tracking software) and Substance Abuse Screening labs
5) Find out where the background screening team is located and if they outsource any of their screening overseas
In background screening compliance is crucial. All of the five (5) items mentioned tied back to compliance. If the software being utilized is industry grade it will have compliance (FCRA) components built in. If the screening company you hire is a member of NAPBS and has NAPBS certifications this means the company takes compliance seriously and has invested resources in in it. The authorization process is the main area that causes employers and CRA (Consumer Reporting Agencies) to get sued, so make sure you understand the authorization and disclosure process and that your background screening company can articulate why their process keeps you compliant. If your background screening company is based in the United States and has researchers in the United States there is a greater chance that the method of obtaining records and reporting them is compliant. Ask your background screening company if they are members of the Concerned CRAs.